Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Week 16 - Vintage

Years ago, my Mom gave me my grandpa's old Zeiss Ikon camera and it has always been a treasure to me.  My grandpa purchased this camera in 1926, in Sweden where he lived, and my Mom said she remembered him carrying it around everywhere when they were kids.

Here is Hayden, checking it out.
 


Here is my Morfar and Mormor (grandpa and grandma) on their wedding day and my Mom and her brother, Torbjorn, in the background.


I noticed this outhouse, across from the baseball fields, and thought it would be perfect for this assignment.  The only obstacles were the 2 "Keep Out" signs and the "Beware of Dog" sign that were displayed prominently on the property.  I summoned all my courage and knocked on the door of the old weathered house nearby and fully expected to be accosted by a man wearing long johns, wielding a rifle.  The man was nicer than I imagined and he worn flannel instead of long johns.  And as you can see, I lived to tell the tale.


Now...for the truly "vintage" artifact, see my Dad's image below.  This is what he says he found in the boiler of the 100 year-old house he and Gail are renovating.  Gail claims it was a joke they were playing on the grand kids.  Either way, it is creepy and eery and perfect for our vintage assignment!


No comments:

Post a Comment